Hi Way Plantations
Episode: Delish Food Bowl Special
Title: Hi Way Plantations
Broadcast: December 2nd 2017
Presenter: Scotty Taylor and Russell Blaikie
The red ripe capsicums you get up in the Gascoyne are sensational. Sun drenched and full of flavour! Scott and Russ visit one of the region’s top growers of capsicum.
- Welcome to Hi- Way Plantations, 15 mins out of town on the Gascoyne River catchment. Once a banana plantation, today it lies on 28 acres.
- You know it’s a good capsicum when it’s brimming, really heavy, not too many deep incisions around the edge and evenly coloured.
- The King of Capsicum Pompy Is the man with all the secrets when It comes to growing the perfect capsicum. You need a good mix of calcium, nitrogen, potassium, which is all in the soils around the Gascoyne region.
- Carnarvon has a good all-round weather, not a lot of rainfall but a the Gascoyne River that runs underneath the ground.
- Chilies and capsicums are great mates- anywhere that capsicums grow so do chilies. The Warm climate with low rainfall here is perfect in growing their seven different types of chili’s.
- The guys at Hi way plantations are the pioneers in Carnarvon for growing capsicums under shade cloth and maybe that is one of their trade secrets into the best tasting caps on the market.
This episode of Delish was presented to you by The Gascoyne Food Council