Potato and Leek Soup with a Thai twist
Episode # 1 – TX 3rd May 20
Presenter: Blake Proud
Story Title: Potato and Leek Soup with a Thai twist.
- 500g Leek
- 800g White Potato (Peeled & Diced)
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2 tsp freshly grated lemongrass or lemongrass paste
- 1 Hot chilli (grated / chopped)
- 1lt Salt reduced vegetable stock
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Fried leek
- Garlic Chilli Oil drizzle
- Fresh Bread
- Cut and set aside the top green park of the leek. Rinse the remaining white stem of the leek with water and pat dry. Cut in half length ways then finely chop in to semi circles.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over a medium / low heat. Add most of the leek and sauté until translucent. Make sure you don’t burn the leek. Add the chilli, garlic, ginger and lemongrass and continue to sauté until fragrant. Next chuck in your potato and stock
- Crank your heat to medium-high until boiling then reduce until simmering. Let it simmer until the potatoes can be pricked easily with a fork
- Once the potatoes are soft, I have found the easiest way to blend is with a stick blender. Whizz it all up until smooth. Taste and season to your liking with salt and pepper.
- Heat up a pan with a bit of extra olive oil get it nice and hot and chuck on the remaining leek. Fry until crisp and golden and set aside on paper towels
- Serve a drizzle of garlic or chilli oil, some crispy fried leek and a slice of fresh bread! YUM