Core Cider House
Title: Core Cider House
Broadcast: Episode 11, 16th September 2018
Presenter: Theo Kalogeracos
Theo is soaking up the serenity out in Pickering Brook in the Perth hills at a fourth–generation orchards.
- 35 minutes from the Perth CBD, Core Cider house has been in the Della Franca family for 80 years.
- 20 years of exporting, before 16-20 years of organic farming.
- Deciding to explore options of the wastage of apples from farming, they decided to move into cider, evolving the business over time.
- Everything that is grown on the property goes into their ciders.
- Cider is made in the same process as wine, once the apples/grapes are crushed the juice from the fruit is ready for fermenting, unlike beer where items need to be added.
- There are approximately 9 varieties of apples being grown on the property, with over 7000 trees in the orchard.
- The new Hard-Core Cider is currently in ferment and has a blend of Granny Smiths, Pink Ladies and High Earlies. From the fermenting barrel, the juice will go to tanks where a culture of yeast is added, and the juice will then go to a bottle where it will have its second fermentation.
- The end result is a refreshing, light and complex style cider.
- The cider makes work with the chef team in the restaurant to make sure the ciders pair really well with the food they are serving.
- Core Cider is open Wednesday – Sunday 10am- 4pm, 5pm on s Sunday.