Spudshed- The people behind the food we eat.
Title: Spudshed- The people behind the food we eat.
Broadcast: Episode 2, 8th July 18
Presenter: Scott Taylor
Scott is on the farm in Myalup to learn the history behind the creation of Spudshed.
- Inspiration for Spudshed came from Tony Galatis childhood years of picking potatoes and beans after school in the 60’s on his parent’s market garden in Spearwood.
- It is a true West Australian family affair with brothers, sons and soon grandchildren all working hard to make the freshest and most affordable produce available to WA families.
- The family stuck together and from a starting point of 5 acres back in Spearwood, they now run 2500 acres of Vegetable production 30 years later.
- Tony Galati felt there was a gap in the market back in the day when they were just market gardening so they thought, why not.. Why not move into market gardening and retailing? So, they started their own retail shop and Spudshed was born.
- Tony started market gardening at a young age and over the years he and his brothers kept on working and expanding alongside his parents, working hard to keep the business going and are trying to keep this ethos going from generation to generation.
- Spudshed has grown now to 9 stores across the state, with produce harvested on the farm available fresh instore the next day.
- Learn more about Spudshed in coming episodes over the series.